To view sample content, check out the free previews in the course on our learning portal >>
[If you are already a student in the learning portal, please contact us to request this sample content be added to your dashboard.]
Delivered on a monthly subscription model, mother-and-daughter team Emma Cox and Rachel DeMille provide coaching and curriculum support on a schedule you can rely on, and you use it on the timing of your own choosing to meet the needs of your family or club. The YSS format includes a binder system for planning and record keeping, and a community of support with others participating in the program.
AND! The YSS Coaching and Content subscription includes, at no additional cost, the award-winning This Week in History program for use in your homeschool or club learning!
- Monday: Discover
Brief video(s) – from 5-20 minutes combined (at the students’ level of interest)
Printable content (at the students’ level of interest)
Introduces the goal area with basic instruction
Learning activities and goal project ideas
Appropriate for family and club learning with multi-age groups
List of rabbit trail starters from This Week in History
(bundled with the YSS subscription at no additional cost)
- Wednesday: Explore
- Friday: Coach and Prepare
- Video(s) from 10-40 minutes combined (at the parent/mentor’s level of interest)
- Printable content (at the parent/mentor’s level of interest)
- Debriefing the week’s experiences
- Coaching on mentoring skills, habits and mindset
- Pre-exposure to the upcoming week’s goal area
- Preparation helps for priming, planning and organizing the next week’s activities
- Book Club monthly (Suggested Reading Schedule provided)
- Even Months: Hero Project (Support Packet provided)
- Odd Months: Service Project (Support Packet provided)
- Binder upkeep
2nd & 3rd Weeks
- Working on Goal Areas
- Follows YSS Calendar
- Binder upkeep
- Club Meeting/Prisms (Support Packet provided)
- Online Meetup
- Preparation for Quarterly Event
5th Week (every three months)
- Quarterly Event (Support Packet provided)
- Includes such events as: Spelling Bee, Physical Fitness Challenge, Heritage Arts Festival, Math Tournament, Science Fair, Poetry Tea Time, Speech Recital, Music and Art Gala, Georgics Pageant, Formal Banquet etc.
- Medallion Awards Ceremony
- Community recruitment and enrollment opportunity
YSS is a service and achievement club sort of like scouting, with 6 areas of emphasis with 10 or so subtopics, or “Goal Areas.” The young person and his or her mom/dad/mentor develop a list of goals/achievements in each Goal area, tailored to the student’s aptitude, interest, phase of learning and other needs. Our Coaching service provides lots of ideas and resource materials to help you figure this part out!
Once all the chosen goals are completed in a given area of emphasis, the child earns a “medallion.” The medallion is actually a small brass pendant; it can be wrapped with beads on a leather strip from a walking stick, dangled from ribbon on a bookmark, worn on a cord or chain as a necklace, or as charms on a bracelet, for example.
Each achievement area is represented by a hero or heroine icon, chosen especially because of their significant contributions or example in the goal area.
For more information on the Heroes and Goal Areas, see the YSS Overview >>
YSS Binder Tour